#34 NFL Athlete brings faith/sports to kids – Mark Boyer
Mark is an ex NFL football player for the Indianapolis Colts and the NY Jets and a Christian. Through his struggle and search for his identity after his career ended Mark realized that being an inspirational coach was his future. 17 years ago he founded the first California Camp of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and has been helping athletes find Jesus Christ ever since.
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing” – John 15:5
- Found FCA in Tulsa when he was playing for the Colts and went to the camp. He was amazed.
- 17 years ago Mark brought FCA to California and now is the VP of Field Ministry
- Mark didn’t have a relationship with God until he was a Sophomore in high school. The Lord grabbed him when he went to see an Easter play.
- Biggest Weakness – Too much of a people pleaser. It creates a conflict between what God wants and what people like.
- Biggest Strength – Building and nurturing relationships.
- Dark Time – 1993/94 Mark hurt his back in the gym and couldn’t play anymore. He had trouble understanding why God would take this away from him. His identity was rooted in being an athlete and he felt like he was wandering. When he couldn’t go any further he heard a voice say “Perfect, now watch what I’ll do.” Soon after that he founded FCA.
- Person of Inspiration – Mark’s wife Jena came to Christ separately, but within weeks of Mark. They came together in high school and she’s been his biggest cheerleader.
- A man’s friends are incredibly important and therefore Mark is involved in men’s groups. As men we need a team to be a part of something bigger.
- Mark’s goals as a man – Be a hero at home. Be a good steward of all that God has given him. Be passionate to help people reach their God given potential.
- Mark was baptized at age 16.
- Best advice – stay tight to Jesus.
- Recommended Book – “Draw to Circle” by Mark Patterson
- Recommended Charity – FCA
- Contact – firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about Fellowship of Christian Athletes listen to this short podcast – FCA Podcast w/Mark Boyer
For past shows and to learn more about the God’s Men of Influence community, check us out atwww.godsmenofinfluence.org
Join us on Facebook for our daily devotionals and updates and please like our page www.facebook.com/GodsMenOfInfluence
Help us spread the Word and please rate our show on itunes and leave comments for us. Tell us what insights you took from this episode.