#79 God Wrecked Him In Order To Help Him – John Tumminello
- God will show a man who he’s been so that he can change who he will be. This is a lesson that John Tumminello learned when he woke up having everything, looked in the mirror and hated himself.“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing” – John 15:5
- John is from NY. He’s a father of 2 children and husband. While trying to help people, he believes he’s learned more than he’s given. God has wrecked him to teach him.
- John’s non profit’s are focused on the fatherless and those who were wounded by their experiences with their fathers.
- John’s father had one arm and ran a deli to keep the family fed and his mom was detached. He didn’t feel a lot of affection as a youth, because his parents suffered from the were scared to stop working.
- Biggest Weakness – When he’s running ahead of God
- Biggest Strength – To encourage people.
- Dark Time – He didn’t even know how he got there, but his dark time lasted 5 years. He was told he was selfish emotionally and would consume people and alcohol. He was very promiscuous John was at a high point financially and in business during his dark time. He used his skills for his own advantage instead of for God’s kingdom. Anyone who has God’s spirit does not enjoy that lifestyle, it’s there to cover the pain.
- John grew up Catholic, but it was more of a cultural experience. In that space God, put the right people in front of John, like a Christian brother who prayed for him from age 16 to 38.
- 2 people who were really close to John that called him emotionally selfish was the change he needed. He woke up, looked in the mirror and saw the ugliness.
- It took 5 years to change his life. John went into isolation. He moved to California to try and get away from himself.
- The final transition was when he started reading. Found a book called “Just like Jesus” by Max Lucado. It was when he first really heard the Gospel even after Catholic high school and college.
- When John struggles it’s because he is not trusting God.
- God’s Man of Influence – Less words and more action. Lead with who you are. Walk in a way that let’s people know that God is in your life.
- Recommended Book – “Tattoos on the Heart” by Greg Boyle and “Abba’s Child” by Brennan Manning.
For past shows and to learn more about the God’s Men of Influence community, check us out at www.godsmenofinfluence.org
Join us on Facebook for our daily devotionals and updates and please like our page www.facebook.com/GodsMenOfInfluence
Help us spread the Word and please rate our show on itunes and leave comments for us. Tell us what insights you took from this episode.