#21 Child of Alcoholism & Divorce Found Faith, Hope & Love in God – AJ Swies
“For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship and by him we cry, “Abba, Father.”The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.” – Romans 8:14-17
- God was the only thing in his life proven to be worth serving. He brings joy to AJ everyday.
- AJ believes he is not to walk like a cowering slave, but like a child of God. He often asks himself “do I walk as if I have access to everything that God has given me?”
- Biggest Weakness – Discipline. Structure is not easy for AJ, so he comes up with new ways to stay engaged in the word.
- Biggest Strength – Faith. AJ has been privileged to see amazing miracles. When there is a hard trial he can stay faithful.
- Darkest Time – Right after divorce, AJ got very angry with God, because his Dad was finally on the right track yet his parents were still getting a divorce. He partied for 6 months and became angry, verbally abusive and numb. The divorce broke AJ to his core, but it allowed him to rebuild and heal his relationship with God and his father.
- Recovery – AJ’s best friend said, “if you continue doing what you’re doing, you will end up just like your parents”. That was a horrible insult to AJ. Everyday he got on his knees and screamed for God to love him. He trusted no one including pastors because they were adults; he could only trust God.
- His best friends family the Lawsons took him into their home for holidays, vacations and sleep-overs and gave him hope for family.
- Advice – find a family outside your own to support you during the dark time.
- Feeling the Holy Spirit – While praying one day, AJ felt the Holy Spirit and was on the floor laughing because God was giving him joy in the places he was broken. AJ needed joy and forgiveness.
- To be a God’s Man of Influence – you must be a man that stands against culture and will be on his knees in prayer.
- AJ attends – Viewpoint Church
- Baptized 4 or 5 years ago on Easter Sunday
- Best Advice Given – Don’t Be Governed By Fear
Recommended Book – “Supernatural Ways of Royalty” – Kris Vallotton & Bill Johnson
Favorite Charity – Iris Global
For past shows and to learn more about the God’s Men of Influence community, check us out at www.godsmenofinfluence.org
Join us on Facebook for our daily devotionals and updates and please like our page www.facebook.com/GodsMenOfInfluence
Help us spread the Word and please rate our show on itunes and leave comments for us. Tell us what insights you took from this episode.