#23 Reconciling the Conflict Between Religion and Science – Tony Bartos
“But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect” – 1st Peter 3:15
- Tony sees himself as a flawed man, loving husband and believer in the Lord Jesus.
- He feels he is a sinner, not a bad person, but your mind is filled with sin and it’s easy to forget that.
- It’s important to understand someone’s worldview first before you help them understand the Word of the Lord.
- Biggest Weakness – Pride. The self-righteousness that crowds God out of your life.
- Biggest Strength – Desire to understand his own faith and why he believes what he believes.
- Tony wasn’t raised as a Christian and didn’t want to be one in college and in his 20’s.
- Dark Time – Tony’s parents divorced when he was in his 20’s and it was difficult to go through. He wanted to be filled with comfort, but didn’t know what that meant.
- Tony’s youngest brother died of a herroine overdose in a motel in Long Beach after years of addiction and homelessness. He did not want to know Christ.
- His brother’s passing was difficult as a believer and Tony prays that he found a place with God in death.
- The 2 major factors toward becoming a believer was meeting his wife and his roommate who transformed in front of his eyes.
- Tony began going to church in the late 90’s, but wasn’t baptized until 2007. It was a long journey to accepting Christ.
- Tony’s struggle with accepting Christ was reconciling God and science. He realized that there was no conflict and you don’t need to create one where none exists.
- Advice – Be curious and open to investigate what is possible and true.
- God’s Men of Influence – To be someone that people can turn to for inspiration.
- Tony’s Church – Calvary Chapel / Costa Mesa
- Prayer – It’s a great comfort to be able to pray and admit that you can ask for help.
Recommended Book – “Mere Christianity” by CS Lewis & “How To Talk To A Skeptic” by Don Johnson
If you would like to talk with Tony you can email him at Tony@TheBartosGroup.com
For past shows and to learn more about the God’s Men of Influence community, check us out at www.godsmenofinfluence.org
Join us on Facebook for our daily devotionals and updates and please like our page www.facebook.com/GodsMenOfInfluence
Help us spread the Word and please rate our show on itunes and leave comments for us. Tell us what insights you took from this episode.