#29 Coaching Sports While Creating Men of God – Ron Nelson
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Coaching sports is a privilege for Ron Nelson who believes that it is a great opportunity to introduce Jesus to athletes as well as their parents. If you’re an athlete, parent or grandparent, this is a show that will engage you in a new way of thinking about team sports.
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;in all your ways submit to him and he will make your paths straight” – Proverbs 3:5-6
- Ron Nelson is a man who seeks out Jesus every day.
- Ron is a coach at FCA and talks to athletes to let them know who Jesus is and brings them to the church.
- Biggest Weakness – The Flesh. When he was young Ron was told pornography was something men do and cursing was how you express yourself. To combat temptation he has gotten rid of TV and has no computer that isn’t communal.
- Biggest Strength – The ability to training young people to get up in front of people and speak, teach and coach.
- When it became clear all that Jesus had done for Ron he was able to be devout. When he’s not focused upward, it’s too easy to slip backward.
- Dark Time – Athletes are very susceptible to darkness because of what’s available to them. If they don’t have purpose they will not be able to fend off vanity and the trappings of fame, money and notoriety.
- Ron is so involved in FCA because he knows the dark side and he knows that sports careers end. What’s next? How do we help these kids to be more successful? The answer is to teach them to use their skills for God’s glory.
- When Ron was playing baseball in college his 2nd baseman Paul Cunningham began inviting him to pray. Although Ron wouldn’t pray, he trusted Paul and after 2 months went to his church. That evening he accepted the Lord.
- Baptized in Costa Mesa at age 21.
- Ron was train wrecked by the amount of grace available to him and sites Les Miserables’ story as an amazing example of what grace looks like.
- Ron asks the questions of his athletes, “Why do you think you were created?” and “Where do you get your truth?”
- Ron’s church is the Northpark Community Church in Clovis.
- Best Advice – Dennis Rogers said have courage and don’t be afraid to make mistakes.
- Ron is part of Clovis High men’s group with coaches.
Favorite Charity – FCA
Recommended Book – “3D Coaching” by Jeff Duke
There’s so much pressure on sports now that the fun is gone and making it fun again is crucial.
People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.
For past shows and to learn more about the God’s Men of Influence community, check us out at www.godsmenofinfluence.org
Join us on Facebook for our daily devotionals and updates and please like our page www.facebook.com/GodsMenOfInfluence
Help us spread the Word and please rate our show on itunes and leave comments for us. Tell us what insights you took from this episode.